The beer market is buoyant, and although it is still beneath pre-Covid levels, Malteurop has posted good sales thanks to its international positioning and the energy of its teams. Its performance improvement plans and progressive price increases have enabled it to limit the impact of cost increases (energy, transport, etc.). At the same time, Malteurop is stepping up its innovation efforts (products/processes/barley varieties) and optimising its energy systems to decarbonate its business while preparing to roll out an aggressive craft beer strategy for the North American, European and Asia-Pacific markets.
- Implementation of a pilot project in Great Falls to optimise process management using artificial intelligence.
- Craft beers: Success of Crystal Wheat 3L malt, developed by our R&D teams in the USA and launched on the American market at the beginning of 2022. Crystal Wheat 3L malt gives the beer colour and a sweet flavour combined with subtle notes of fruit and honey. Another advantage: it helps the beer to maintain its colloidal stability to revolutionise the hazy IPAs that are so popular in the USA. To support the development of the American craft beer market, Malteurop has invested in a brand-new bagging line for the Winona plant.
Meoqui malting plant: a model of integration. Objectives: to step up our conquest of new markets on the American continent, in particular the domestic Mexican market.
- Nearly 120,000 tonnes of malt produced every year from 100% locally grown barley.
- 30 to 35,000 ha of barley sowed every year
- Two harvests per year
- 300 farmers involved in growing local malting barley. More than 500 farmers will be involved when the plant is at full capacity
- Nearly 70 employees currently being recruited and/or trained
- Low-carbon barley programme in partnership with Heineken: A second low-carbon barley harvest on VIVESCIA’s territory in the summer of 2022.
First results : A CO2 reduction of between 15 and 20% obtained with the varieties sowed.
- Pringy: Renovation of the malting plant in progress
- Rollout of HILTI, the global strategic maintenance project for our malting plants:
After initially being developed in France/Germany in 2022, the global rollout continues throughout Malteurop’s other regions.
Installation of 12,000 m² of solar panels at the San Adrián malting plant.
- 12 % of the plant’s electricity needs
- 685 tonnes of CO2 emissions avoided
Priority to our teams’ safety: We remain in touch with our employees and continue to provide them with financial support.
- Kharkiv plant (near the Russian border): still closed.
- Chernigov plant, further to the west: production started up again in July following an in-depth analysis of the situation and the safety of local staff.
- Investments in a new plant to recycle co-products from malt production as animal feed.
- EcoVadis gold-medal received in 2022